The PressurePen is an open source hardware project. From FreedomDefined.org:
Open source hardware is hardware whose design is made publicly available so that anyone can study, modify, distribute, make, and sell the design or hardware based on that design.
All hardware and specifications of the PressurePen are licensed under the TAPR OHL (see tapr.org/OHL). In summary, the license states:
The full license text is here: http://www.tapr.org/TAPR_Open_Hardware_License_v1.0.txt
- You may modify the documentation and make products based upon it.
- You may use products for any legal purpose without limitation.
- You may distribute unmodified documentation, but you must include the complete package as you received it.
- You may distribute products you make to third parties, if you either include the documentation on which the product is based, or make it available without charge for at least three years to anyone who requests it.
- You may distribute modified documentation or products based on it, if you:
- Include those modifications, following the requirements stated below.
- Attempt to send the modified documentation by email to any of the developers who have provided their email address. This is a good faith obligation -- if the email fails, you need do nothing more and may go on with your distribution.
- License your modifications under the OHL.
Source files for all of the custom parts are available online or upon request. Links to these are below: